Cyclosporiasis, an intestinal parasite, has infected more than 200 victims who ate prepackaged vegetable trays from Fresh Del Monte Product. Most of the people who were contaminated do not feel any symptoms until a week after they consumed something contaminated, and such symptoms usually include intestinal issues such as nausea and diarrhea, as well as lethargy, and fever.
All of the individuals who became ill, of which there were 212, live in the states of Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin, and were infected by eating vegetable trays that included broccoli, cauliflower, and dill dip. These vegetable trays were bought at convenience stores Kwik Trip and Kwik Star.
The onset of this parasite, cyclosporiasis, is tied to imported fresh products that have been contaminated with a parasite known as Cyclospora Cayetanensis. During the mid-1990s, outbreaks of sickness due to the parasite reached new highs; and from that time forward the number of people infected has continued to increase due to more people being infected by consuming contaminated food.
By 1996, the Cyclospora parasite had sickened more than 1,000 people, making health officials prepare themselves for further outbreaks in order to keep the number of people affected less. Some of the infected products related to this parasite are snow peas, raspberries, cabbage, and cilantro, which included people being infected by eating salad mix in 24 states.
The possibility exists that the parasite is spread through feces and tied to imported products from Mexico and South and Central America, but that remains uncertain. There’s also a slight possibility that it might be linked to an animal’s life cycle, but scientists are still trying to determine that.
Indiana and Illinois, along with the another four states, have also been warned about the outbreak, since some of the Del Monte products that included vegetables that appear on the list of affected produce, were for sale in sales during June. Investigations are being carried out to find out when and where people become ill and what stores or restaurants were frequented by those who became ill.
Fifty-six new cases of the parasite were discovered in Texas and health officials are trying to determined how the sickness was spread from the Midwest to Texas. It has become a big challenge to health officials as there have been more than 1,000 new cases confirmed since the middle of 2017.